Friday, May 1, 2009

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

I know, another review from me. But for some reason, I have had some good books to read lately that are fairly quick. And I have found a friend, Melissa, who loves to read and she has been suggesting books to me and then we have been discussing them. It has been really fun! And, I got "laid off" last week from my job, so I feel like I have some extra time.

This book was a recommendation from Melissa. It is written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is a book set right after World War II. A writer, Juliet, in London is contacted by a man who lives on one of the Channel Islands, Guernsey. He finds a book with her name and address in it and writes to her to ask about the author of the book. The story follows their letters and the stories of life on Guernsey during the German occupation. It was a really interesting story. The book is written all as letters, so that was a little hard to get used to. And you are just kind of thrown in at first and have to figure out who all the people are and what their relationships are with one another. It was also hard to keep track of all the characters. But now that I can remember them all, I would love to go back and re-read it. It wasn't a really fast read, but very enjoyable. I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

adrienne said...

Sounds like another great book. I better go put it on hold. I think I'll pass on 1984, though! ;)