Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shannan's Review of "1984"

Okay, I am just cutting and pasting this from Goodreads, so I hope that is okay!

I have a hard time deciding whether to give this book 2 or 3 stars. I had a hard time getting into the story. I am not much for politics, so the over explanation of how the government worked at the beginning was a little boring. I didn't really care for Winston until he started actually doing something of his own will. Then he kept my attention until he started reading "the book". I had already got the idea of how things were, and that was just too much of the same repetition. Granted, I ended up skimming the pages until the part was over, so there could have been something I missed. But Winston says it wasn't anything he didn't know before. And even Julia fell asleep when Winston was reading it to her, so you can't blame me! The end was facinating, eerie, and depressing, and I liked it very much. But it wasn't enough to win me over with the entire book.

I would read this if you want to just for culture's sake. That's kind of why I read it, just because it is such a famous book and I had always wanted to. But I didn't really enjoy it that much. It is really political and I also had a few other books I was really wanting to read, so I just hurried to finish it.

So, I had my first book club meeting tonight and it was really fun! And you will never guess what book we are reading for next month - "These is My Words"! So I am already to go. Also, my friend found out there are 2 more books about Sarah. I think I might check them out soon! Do you guys have any good book club book suggestions?

No comments: