Friday, October 24, 2008

Meghan's Review of "Twilight"

Overall I liked this book. I had read "The Host" first before any other Stephenie Meyer book so I think I was expecting a little more from "Twilight" than if I would've read this first. I thought Meyer did a good job of relating to any teenage girl- feeling like an outsider, self-esteem issues, and always thinking about boys. At least that's what I remember from being in high school (sad but true). I thought there was a good foundation to the relationship between Edward and Bella at the beginning, but their relationship changed too quickly for me once he realized she knew he was a vampire, although Meyer was going for the "Romeo and Juliet" type love, and those relationships always seems to be very dramatic. I liked the mystery that she tried to keep through the whole book about exactly what vampires are capable of and how you become a vampire. I didn't really like that most of the book was spent on developing all the relationships and then the last 1/4 of the book was the real action. I thought she could've come up with a better climax than just a random vampire wanting to kill Bella- something that maybe had more history to it, like if James and Edward had some encounter in the past. That would've seemed more reasonable to me and more intense. I did get a little tired at the end of the book with Bella always talking about how perfect Edward was and how he looks like an angel, and how every time he touched her, her heart stopped. I can understand all that at the beginning, but it's kind of like once you're with someone and you know they feel the same as you do, then you aren't constantly wondering how they feel about you and always feel like every touch is like the first touch. I'm hoping that aspect of Edward and Bella's relationship is a little toned down in "New Moon". For the most part, it was a fairly entertaining story, but I think it could've used some embellishments here and there, and Meyer could've helped the readers understand more why James acted the way he did or made it seem more urgent, if that makes sense. I will be very interested to see how the movie turns out. From the preview's I've seen, it looks like the vampires can fly rather than just run really fast. I also think the guy they cast as Jacob is more 'perfect' looking than Edward is, and from what I've seen of the girl they cast as Bella, she doesn't have any of the humor that Bella did in the book, which was one of the aspects of her and Edward's relationship that I liked. So, there's what I thought of "Twilight". It was good, but I thought "The Host" was far superior. Have you all read "The Host"? If not, I'll wait until you do to write what I thought about it- but I say it's definitely worth reading.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Very well put Meghan! I feel pretty similar to the way you do in regards to Twilight. I especially don't like how dependent Bella is on Edward (you will understand more about that in the next book). I think it sends the wrong message to the teenage girl audience. I don't like how Stephanie wrote Bella to be such a clutz and such a follower. For young girls, they need to hear the message that they should be more concerned with finding themselves at their age and that this should happen separate from feelings that a boy might or might not have about them. I am interested to see the movie although I won't be going on opening night. I enjoyed reading the Twilight series but I am definitely not a die hard. I wouldn't list the books with my all-time favorites, but think they are worth reading if you want a light, easy read that keeps you entertained. I haven't read the Host yet but it is on my list, I just need to get my hands on a copy. I have heard it is geared more towards an adult audience and has a little more depth to it.

Shannan said...

I have read The Host and I liked that much better than Twilight. I think we are in the same boat there, where I was expecting Twilight to be a little better, but it did help to know that it was written for a younger audience. That helped me put up with some of the stuff I thought was silly. I agree with the Bella talking about how perfect Edward is all the time, and I am sure you are finding out that it doesn't get any better. That bugged me, too. One thing that bothered me about Bella was how selfish she was. She always seems to be thinking only of herself until someone reminds her of the others around her. But I think that is a total teenager attitude.

I agree with Erin that they were an easy read, and I was entertained. But I am definitely not a die hard fan, either.

adrienne said...

I can only say ditto to everything you guys have all ready said. Definitely read "The Host" when you can, Erin. I enjoyed it a lot more since I could enjoy it without being bugged by all the talk about how perfect Edward was and how life would just end if they couldn't be together.

Meghan said...

I'm glad I'm not alone in my opinions. And I agree with Erin completely- these books are written for teenage girls and that age group definitely needs a better role model then Bella. I feel so strongly about young women knowing that there is so much more to them than what other people (especially boys) think about them and being independent and feeling good about themselves.