Monday, January 18, 2010

Shannan's Review of "One Thousand White Women"

I just finished another recommended book by Kaitlyn's teacher called "One Thousand White Women" by Jim Fergus. This book is a fictional story about a government project in the 1800s that begins when the Cheyenne Indians request 1000 white women to become their brides in order for the Indians to be able to integrate themselves into the white world. The government agrees and finds women from prisons and mental institutions who will volunteer for this program and in return gain their freedom. It is written in a journal entry format by May Dodd, who has been institutionalized for being promiscuous. She is not insane, only immoral, and so she signs up for the program believing that after the promised two years, she will be free to go back to normal life.

It is an interesting idea for a story. I did like the book, although there were a couple of sex scenes that were a little much. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: