Friday, October 9, 2009

Shannan's Review of "Hallelujah"

This book was recommended to me by a friend. It is written by J. Scott Featherstone, and is about Handel and his writing of the "Messiah". While it is based on actual history, there are many characters that are fictional. The author does a good job of explaining what is based on facts and what is not.

It is a long book, over 550 pages, and not an easy read. There is a lot of descriptions, and the plot just does not move quickly. My friend told me it took her half of the book before she got into it, but I never felt like I ever became attached to any of the characters or had a desire to know about anyone other than Handel. I did like it for that reason, and it did make me want to listen to "Messiah" with a new outlook on that amazing work. That was the only reason I kept reading this book. I would give it 2 1/2 stars and wouldn't really recommend it unless you wanted to get some insight into Handel.

No comments: