Sunday, February 1, 2009
The Host
I really enjoyed The Host much more than the Twilight series. I thought Stephenie's writing was better and more engaging, although that could also have to do with the fact that the main character wasn't overly obsessed with a guy. I am not big into science fiction type books but it held my attention pretty much the whole time. It got a little old when the humans first found Wanda and then they treated her like a prisoner and then started being nicer to her only to have things regress back to the way they were when Jared came back from the raid - I thought that could have been condensed a bit. The whole concept of an alien species that needs a host in order to live was very interesting to me. I think I missed the explanation of why the souls couldn't just stay on their world - anyone else remember (I know, I should know since I am the one who just read it - kind of pathetic). What I don't get is how does an alien that looks similar to a centipede become developed enough the build space ships and take over other worlds in the first place? I was happy with the way the book ended in that it would have been sad to see Wanda die since she was such a likable character, but I am not really a fan of happily ever after endings so a part of me wanted her dying wishes to be carried out since she would have died for something she loved and believed in so much. I didn't like that they put her into a weak human body since she seems like a such a strong soul. If Meyers writes another book along these lines I would definitely read it. If she comes out with more Twilight stuff I would probably read it but wouldn't be in any big hurry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I totally agree with you about the ending. I was completely happy and satisfied when she died at the end and felt like that was a great ending to the book. I did not like the epilogue at all. The new body she was in did not seem to fit her personality at all. But I have heard that one of the reasons Meyers likes to write is so she can have her happy endings. I am glad that you finally read it and enjoyed it!
I agree also. Her new body just did not seem to fit her. I still enjoyed it a lot more than Twilight and will definitely read more of her stuff if it is more like The Host.
I concur with everything said. I read this before all the 'Twilight' books and enjoyed it a lot more too. I thought it was very engaging, and it was definitely interesting to see the relationship that developed between Wanda and Melanie, and how they learned to co-exist for a while. I also agree that the book would've been stronger had it ended with Wanda dying- I thought that was very emotional. And her new body didn't match her character at all. However, I've heard that she's going to make this book into a trilogy, so that may be why she kept her alive. I will definitely read the other books if she does make a sequel.
Post a Comment