Sunday, November 16, 2008

Meghan's Review of "Eclipse"

I think I liked this book the best out of the three so far. I liked the climax and action of this story more than I did in the other two books because it seemed like this story had the most tangible conflict. I still stand by my opinion that if James had a stronger reason for going after Bella in the first book that all three of these books would have had a stronger story line. I definitely didn't like how selfish Bella was. It really bothered me that even though she knew she was hurting Jacob, she did nothing to prevent from hurting him. She only cares about herself and what she wants, and even though she thinks about how her actions are hurting those she allegedly loves, she still does what she knows will hurt them. It's frustrating to read, and even though I can see that Meyer is probably trying to relate to her young adult audience (because most young adults are fairly selfish) it just makes me not like the main character very much. I want her to hurt the way she is hurting Edward and Jacob. And I don't know if I can completely buy the fact that she is in love with both of them. In the second book it's all about how she's nothing without Edward, and then when he comes back it's like she's nothing without Edward and Jacob. She is just never satisfied.

2 comments:

adrienne said...

That's just how all the books are, which is why I just couldn't love them the way the rest of the female population seems to. I like main characters that are strong and that I admire. I actually liked "New Dawn" better that I thought I would since I didn't have a very high expectation going in.

Shannan said...

I agree with everything you wrote! I had to remind myself that these books were written for young adults, and that girls that age do think mostly about themselves and think the world revolves around them. (I used to be one of them!) That was really the only way I could put up with how Bella acted. I really felt bad for Jacob. I didn't think it was fair for her to know that she could never live without Edward, but then think she needed Jacob, too, even though she knew she would never love him the way she did Edward. She should have been more considerate of Jacob's feelings and just let him go. It isn't reality! You can't always have your cake and eat it too, Bella!